Monday 28 April 2008

People who are good at statistics

I'm drawn to them. I really like them. And I don't know why.

There's one, Herb Blumberg (below), who creates an audible sigh whenever he comes into the lecture theatre. I'd quite like him to be my real Dad. There's another who always wears a jumper and my heart always sort of breaks when he starts talking. V necks. Still another who was so spectacularly bad at explaining simple concepts and yet lectured with such massive integrity that nobody really minded.

I think the reason is that people who aren't good at maths or stats recognise that people who are are an entirely different species. And they spend time, fruitlessly usually, trying to tell us a bit about their strange world which we know is important but can never really understand. We'll take your word for it. You seem to be convinced, and that's good enough for me. If it's a logistic regression you want, I'll do one. Just show me how one more time.

My journey in psychology has had many twists and turns, but it has been massively enriched by everyone who has tried to teach me stats. And so this one is for statisticians, and those (roughly 70.1% of the population) who love them.

No comments: