Saturday 29 December 2007

Thank you letters

Do any of today's ungrateful little shits say thank you any more? None of my little cousins do, the turds. Does anyone?

An article in yesterday's Times suggests that some do, though it is a struggle. I nearly peed my pants when the author persuaded her son to write his laborious thanks and gave him a formula to follow: “Thank you very much for the (blank). I like it very much.”

His aunt reported back that his card to her read, “Thank you very much for the £10. I like it very much.”

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A strange complaint coming from a bloke who says he won't tell his own mum and other significant people in his life how "grateful" he is for all they do for him. When will you tell them? When they can no longer hear you? If you want to make the world a better place try looking at the child-man in the mirror.

Rob said...

Yes. A completely fair point.

Rob said...

Is that you Mum by the way?

Anonymous said...

Nope.

Rob said...

Just my little joke there.

Anonymous said...

No, it's my Mum! (I say this as a joke, but hell, it could be...)

Yes, stop complaining about everyone else - some people are just so ungrateful and all they do is moan about other people not being grateful enough - I'm glad I'm not one of those people :-)

(Irony and sarcasm are really hard to translate in email, comments, etc.

I'm thinking that some kind of font adjustment could be implemented - Bold, Underline, Italics and Irony/Sarcasm.)

Rob said...

Another valuable contribution, and I do blame your Mum.

I have a particular problem with irony etc as I have promised never to use an emoticon in any form of communication.

However, I do feel that the power of irony might be lost if your font was implemented. By removing that warm glow of recognition, you may neuter your target audience's enjoyment of said irony.

It is a thoroughly splendid idea though, and one which could be piloied in international communications - with the French for example.