Monday 17 September 2007

Facebook Suicide

I have committed Facebook Suicide. Admittedly, I had a short life. I threw a sheep at someone. Someone hugged me. Someone even worshipped me though that might have been a mistake.

Then I killed myself.

Why? Well, I could see its potential for 'networking'. And I could see how it would be nice to know what people are doing, and perhaps throw them a sheep every now and again. It is nice and silly, which I like, but then I realised that I am silly enough already.

And I spend enough time at my PC already too. So I clamped down on it and made a deal with myself to spend more time inviting people out for tea in real life and giving them a hug rather than hugging them virtually.

Have I missed the point here?

3 comments:

twellve said...

i don't think we're the facebook target audience by about 15 years or so. i've never been hugely into the social networking thing; its appeal is lost on me.

Rob said...

Yes. I forgot to mention I felt like someone's Dad at a disco...

Having said that, Facebook (at least here) is definitely talked about as a middle class / middle aged thing.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this - I'm on Facebook and haven't really got a clue what it is about.

The only thing I know it is good for is sending and receiving messages to and from people I know - so now I receive an email that allows me to access Facebook, so that I can then send a message to someone, rather than just sending emails directly to each other.

Perhaps Facebook could be renamed Re-Dun-Dant?