Thursday 31 May 2007

The West Indies

I remember when the West Indies came to England in 1984, because they really messed up my summer. I was at my cricket-obsessed peak at this stage, and I was bursting with pride about the England team. We had the best players in the world - Botham! Lamb! Big Bob Willis! How could we fail?!

Me and my slightly flared cricket trousers waited with breathless anticipation and I rushed off to Old Trafford to see a one dayer. As expected we reduced the Windies to about 80 for 7. This was so easy!

Viv Richards then played the best one-day innings ever, 189 not out, and we lost massively.

Then the Test series, and the Windies smashed us into tiny, humiliating smithereens, played their very loud horns, had the coolest wrist bands and left. 5-0 defeat.

I was left bereft, emotionally crushed, and I also wore a really bad jumper to the School Disco that year and everyone laughed at me very deeply.

It was a low point, to say the least.

*******

But now it's all changed. And I've changed too. West Indies cricket is dying. I am taking no pleasure at all from this present series. I want the West Indies to come back, the magnificent, proud force of old. But they won't. Not without help.

Instead the ICC sit and watch and talk about giving money to Zimbabwean cricket, as though propping up a murderous regime will somehow help develop the game - and as though this is even the point. It makes me so angry the way priorities get mixed up.

West Indies cricket is dying on its feet. The ICC must deal with this, yet they do nothing. People are dying in Zimbabwe every day from a disgusting despot, and our politicians sit and talk, and think only of legacy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

Anonymous said...

Rob, Ermm...while the importance of West Indies cricket dying cannot be overstated.....I'm afraid the only cricket I am familiar with is Jiminy and one of his relatives who is hold up somewhere in my kitchen and wildly serenading a potential mate.

May, I suggest a topic that is in far greater need of your speculations, especially in light of your new credentials. A recent poll indicates 21% of respondents confessed to answering the phone during sex! Not as bad as dialing the phone, mind you, but still a matter of serious importance to us all. ;)

Rob said...

Hmm, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will indeed follow up this curious case, do you have a link to the poll? Or may it was conducted by phone?

Perhaps, in a great postmodern irony people, were answering the phone to the very pollsters who were conducting the poll?

Rob said...

And Rodrigo, thanks for your special contribution too.