Monday 18 June 2007

Faking It

Ever doubted you can do something? Ever been so daunted by a challenge you don't take it on and make excuses instead? I do this ALL THE BLOODY TIME.

Faking It is back on some random cable channel. I haven't seen my one since it was on Channel 4, but I watched a couple of the other episodes and they reminded me of what a brilliant programme it is, and why I went on it in the first place.

I watched the polo one. This guy went from being an unmotivated bicycle courier from Manchester, all piercings and ambivalence, who spent his time on his bike and in the pub, to being a polo player.








The premise is you get 4 weeks to go from your current life to a polar opposite, and then pass yourself off as an expert in front of experts. Anyway, this guy, Malcolm, had to not only get on a horse for the first time and ride it, but learn to hit the ball, talk like a toff at a dinner party and then compete with others in a competitive polo match.

But he did it. In 4 weeks, he passed himself off as a polo player compared with 3 other players who'd been doing it for their whole lives.

It just shows what some motivation, some focus, some attention and a goal can do.

Malcolm looked astonished when he succeeded. And do you know what else? Happy.

At the end, as the sun came down over the polo field behind him, he said: "If I can do this in a month, it means I can do almost anything I put my mind to".

Quite.

Still doubt yourself?

No comments: