Wednesday 11 July 2007

Happy Songs

I was challenged to counter my list of sad songs with a list of "happy or romantic" songs.

Whilst, clearly, the romantic list is beyond me (one step at a time Z!), here goes with my attempt at happy songs.

Again, definition is key. The song must be about happiness (which includes any of its variants e.g. joy, excitement, seeing a girl and going phwoar), but it must also invoke feelings of happiness in me. (It's always about me isn't it?) Both scored out of 10.

11. I wanna hold your hand - the Beatles (7 / 6)
10. I bet you look good on the dance floor - Arctic Monkeys (6 / 8)
9. Daydream believer - Monkees(6 / 8)
8. Teenage kicks - Buzzcocks (7 / 7)
7. Man on the moon - REM (7 / 8)
6. How to disappear completely - Radiohead (7 / 8)
5. You'll never walk alone - The Kop Choir (7 / 9)
4. The sick bed of Culchulainn - The Pogues (7 / 9)
3. If I ever leave this world alive - Flogging Molly (7 / 10)
2. Ain't got no (I got life) - Nina Simone(9 / 9)
1. Amazing Grace - Various (10 / 9)

What do you think of THAT then??

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that's "brilliant!" I know it wasn't easy for you.;)

What a happy surprise. It will keep me busy on Youtube. The scoring is a nice touch, too! Hmmm. Z

Anonymous said...

Flogging Molly? That just sounds kinky...

For some reason, I started hearing an old song going round head - "Staying Out for the Summer" - which I have since found out was by 'Dodgy' (how appropriate) - and on listening to it in youtube, it's not as good as I remember.

But Good Enough" is good enough.

Jon

PS Is Z flirting with you? Just hope that Z is of your preferred gender and is not a blood relative.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Jon, Z is flirting with Rob...but he started it first.;) And, I believe that I am his preferred gender.. but you might have us on the blood relative thing as we both share Liverpudlian ancestry. Z :)

Dan said...

Does your happiness ever get to 10? Or below 6 for that matter?

Teenage Kicks warrants a higher latter score than 7.

Anonymous said...

Ummm, Rob, have been making my way through your list and I'm not sure that "How to Disappear Completely" can be considered a "happy" song, at least not the version I found. And, I cannot find the "Sick Bed of Culchulainn". Now... that sounds like a cheerie tune!!

"Good Enough" did get me to dancing around the living room. Z

Rob said...

Daniel,
1. my happiness score was consistently below 4 when we worked together. Your presence was coincidental however.
2. Dullards may regard Teenage Kicks as deserving of a higher happiness score than 7. However, lust or 'having the horn' as I prefer to say, is 2 parts excitement, 1 part frustration. Therefore, it is impossible for this work of genius to score higher than 7 on this particular scale.
Carry on.