Monday 16 July 2007

Metaphor teasing

I have, like you, noticed the common habit of saying 'like' in the middle of sentences and then not actually saying what it actually is like.

Now, I am someone that really likes a good metaphor and rejoices in the tickle of a fine simile. I love them like I love bathing in asp's milk whilst reciting the poetry of Robert Browning with saucy Peruvian handmaidens exfoliating my nose.

So I constantly find myself teased by people and their wanton use of 'like' without the glorious orgasm of the metaphor. 'It's like, like, like' WHAT WOMAN? (it's always women come to think of it).

Stop your teasing and tell me what it IS like before I explode.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's like, it's like....you know. ;) Z

Anonymous said...

What is it with you and Z?

I decide to check in on your latest blog entry and it's like being at my friend's wedding a few years ago - I went for a walk in the hotel gardens and turned a secluded corner to find a friend (not the one that got married) with his pants around his ankles and someone else in very close proximity......

How's that for a descriptive metaphor?