Sunday 25 February 2007

Duh....Duh duh duh....Duh duh duh...........Duh duh duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.

Giles Coren is a genius and I love him in a muscular, physical way. This Saturday he was talking about the Rocky films and how great they are. Too right. Every one handed press up that's ever been attempted since has been due to Rocky and I ran my first marathon thinking I was Rocky.

Rocky. It's weird when you say it a lot of times.

Anyway, Coren got it so right when he compared the reactions of Britain and America to Rocky:

"English film critics are not red-blooded. And that is why most of them didn't get Rocky Balboa. They kvetched about believability, sneered at the sentimentality and mocked Stallone's muscular, monosyllabic conception of masculinity. This is because English critics are a snide, whey faced, nerdy bunch who at the age when I was grinding out press-ups to Eye of the Tiger, were getting hard-ons for Belle de Jour and pinning another Morrissey poster to the wall".

YES, YES and thrice YES! There's more:

"American critics are not like that. It's why they have Updike, Roth, Clint Eastwood, Joe DiMaggio and Champion the Wonder Horse while we have Philip Pulman, JK Rowling, Hugh Grant, Mark Ramprakash and Muffin the Mule".

So that's it. This is so good I am adding Coren to my fantasy dinner party list, even though he's so funny I know he'd get off with Girls Aloud before I've even finished speaking to Larry David and Nasser Hussain.

But welcome to the club, Giles Coren. I'm off to run round Victoria Park strapped to a tyre.

No comments: