Sunday 4 February 2007

Surnames

Like Robert Crampton I am interested in stats. I can’t help it. It’s what drives my interest in cricket, share prices and research methods. Please still be my friend. So I really love this site which he mentioned recently:

http://www.spatial-literacy.org/

It tells you where your surname comes from, what ethnicity it is and what sort of job your surname tends to do. It seems I am mainly from St Albans, which is nice, or if I was in Australia, Tasmania. Given that I seldom sleep with members of my close family and can spell my name, this is disappointing.

If I was in America, I’d be statistically most likely to come from Maine. I am not sure what that means culturally speaking, perhaps someone can tell me?

However, it seems that Archers are mainly ‘Corporate Chieftains’, which is all very nice and that we are in the top third of names status-wise. I tried to imagine what the number 1 status name would be and came up with Windsor (top 34% only!) but then came up with Cholmondeley (top 5% - inspired!), Churchill (19% - blimey) and Fortescue (top 0% - bingo).

I defy you not to look up your own name. Some of you are right chavs so expect you’ll be down amongst the Rooneys and Goodys.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

MOffatt. "Summer playgrounds".