Tuesday 6 February 2007

LFC

Today two Americans bought Liverpool Football Club. Now, I love America and I love Americans too and I will get on to this because I work with some people who really piss me off when they slag America off. But today they bought Liverpool Football Club and yes, I feel scared.

For Liverpool is a great football club, a team of the people, whose success is based on hard work, teamwork and a real understanding of its identity. And you can’t help wonder, do these guys understand this? Do they know what it means? Do they really care? And anyway, who are they?
But should I feel like this? Instead of an obvious crook like Abramovich looking to launder his money through a second rate outfit and leaving them at the mercy of his and his advisers’ whims, we have people whose intentions are clear.

To make money.

And to make money, generally you have to spend money. Hicks and Gillett are going to have to invest in players in the short term if the ‘brand’ (ugh) is not to suffer. And their knowledge of running sporting franchises might mean that, for once, tickets are easier to come by and merchandise is actually sold to fans (don’t get me started on this – I tried to buy an LFC jumpsuit for a friend’s baby the other day and it was virtually impossible).

But it’s like falling in love. You want to trust, but initially you’re cautious. Treat this carefully please chaps, because it’s very precious.

And don’t, under any circumstances, sell Stevie G.

No comments: